This article is a detailed guide on how to buy and sell locally using the Facebook marketplace. If you want to learn how to make the most of the Facebook marketplace feature by buying or selling with it, then I strongly recommend reading this article.
Facebook is arguably the most popular and widely used social media platform around the globe. The reason for this popularity is not far from the amazing features that Facebook regularly comes up with.
One of such features on Facebook is the marketplace feature which allows Facebook users in the supported countries to buy and sell diverse kinds of products and services to the people in their local communities.
Why Is Facebook Marketplace Better Than Other Online Marketplaces?
The ability to ask critical questions on the why and the why-not is a major mark of all homo sapiens. Hence, seeking to know why you would prefer the use of the Facebook marketplace is never a question of futility. For the most part, there are lots of reasons why Facebook’s marketplace is better than its competing industries.
Principal among these reasons is your ability to take full advantage of the billions of people properly networked within the Facebook system to advance your business interest. With such a huge population, you are sure to connect with the right buyers and sellers on a daily basis.
Also, with the Facebook marketplace feature, you automatically see products or services from people who are in your area. Remember, the goal of this marketplace is for people nearby to engage in business transactions easily.
Remember also that there are millions of items and services that you can always buy or sell on Facebook. The items include electronics, foodstuff, clothing, and real estate among other interesting categories of items you can easily buy from the persons near your local community.
How To Locate The Facebook Marketplace Icon On Your Device
A lot of Facebook users have difficulty locating the marketplace on their Facebook app. This happens mostly due to ignorance of their path. The Facebook marketplace is represented with the symbol of this store icon which is located on the left-hand side of Facebook using PCs or at the drop-down menu on Facebook mobile with the caption “Facebook marketplace”
Once you see the icon, click on it to begin assessing its features. However, if you can’t find this icon in the locations I just mentioned above, know that you are either using an outdated Facebook app or Facebook at the moment is not available in your region.
Either way, you can uninstall the outdated Facebook app and download a new one, or you can wait a little further until the Facebook marketplace becomes available in your area. Haven learn what the Facebook marketplace is and how to locate it, it’s time to get into the main discourse: how to buy and sell on this marketplace.
How To Buy On Facebook Marketplace
One important aspect of buying anything on the Facebook marketplace is your ability to control a lot of things about the transaction. What do you want to buy from the Facebook marketplace? Follow this guide carefully:
The first step is to log into your Facebook account within a supported country. In the top left corner of the page, you will see the marketplace icon there, click on it to open the marketplace.
By default, the first set of items you see in the marketplace are items that are within your local community. From there, you can select the item that you want to buy. Once you’ve seen the item, click on it to open up more options about the item, including the seller’s contact information.
Send the seller a personal message using Facebook messenger in order to bargain the price and fix the pick-up location. Remember that you cannot pay online in the Facebook marketplace, nor does Facebook ship your item to you.
These are the things you personally decide with the seller, hence the reason why Facebook products are only visible between persons who are living within the same locality.
Safety Tips For Buying On Facebook Marketplace
Like we said earlier, Facebook could be listed as one of the best places to buy all your daily needs at an affordable price. However, there are certain safety measures to help guide you when buying from the Facebook marketplace. These measures include but are not limited to the following:
- In the Facebook marketplace, the seller of a product takes the responsibility of delivering the product to the buyer, making sure that you meet with the buyer in an open place or location. Never allow the buyer to fix the meetup point in a secret place. It must always be in the open where many people are.
- Also, upon meeting with the buyer, if the goods are not in a sound condition as advertised, you have every right to walk away. If the item to be bought is in the clothing line, endeavour to put it on to ensure that it’s your correct size before making any payment.
- Similarly, if the product is a used electronics, please look for a way to taste the product to ensure that it’s still working perfectly well before you can safely make your payment.
- And lastly, make sure that the store that you are buying from is not a new store that is less than one year old. Yes, if the store is less than a year old, there is a likelihood that the seller’s old account was blocked previously due to some illegal activity. In other words, always buy from sellers with a track record of honesty which was built over the years.
How To Sell On Facebook Marketplace
Selling on the marketplace is just similar to selling in a physical store, in that you still have to open a store, have goods or services that you want to sell, and then advertise these goods or services in your store in such a way as to attract buyers. This is exactly how we do it in the marketplace too.
Once you sign in to your Facebook account, be it on mobile or desktop, from the top left corner of the screen, you will see the marketplace icon there, click on it to open the marketplace.
Once opened, you will see two buttons, Buy something and sell something. In this case, you will select the Sell something button.
From the next window that pops up, the details of the products that you want to sell. The details in this context include the price you want to sell, the product description, etc. Remember that the location section is auto-generated. Hence, if you are not in that location, kindly change it, because Facebook only displays your products to the people within the area you selected as your location. So be deliberate about it.
Once you have added the details above, click next to open the next window which I consider one of the most important in selling on the Facebook marketplace- the pictures.
On this, you will be given the option to include up to 10 detailed pictures of each of the products that you want to sell on your Facebook store. Make sure you use pictures that are bright and engaging enough, else nobody would want to buy from you.
After this step, you can click on the post button to publish your product for the Facebook community to see. Remember that it is only the people in your local community who can see your listed products.
So you see, any interested buyer who sees your products on his or her Facebook feed will message you, seeking to know more. From there, you start making sales.
BUYING TIPS ON FACEBOOK
Local groups on Facebook and Facebook Marketplace are fantastic places to find good deals on high-quality, rarely-used things. Here are ten strategies to help you find the best deals.
- Find local selling groups. Simply type phrases like selling, “sale,’ or ‘purchase’ into Facebook’s main search box to find groups in your region or location. It’s worthwhile to join a few. See the section on discovering groups for additional information.
- Look into Facebook Marketplace. Facebook Marketplace is an ad posting tool on the social media platform (see more on this above). To locate the items, you may browse by keyword or explore categories. You may also adjust your region and search for filters to focus your search on a certain area.
- Make a note of where you’ll be. Have you seen something you really want? The norm in most Facebook groups is that the first person to respond to a for-sale post earns the first choice. Even if another bidder arrives before, it’s still worth asking below if you can be the next one in line, as many deals fall through
- Try clicking on the ‘Message Seller’ option on Facebook Marketplace.
- Negotiate prices. There’s really nothing improper with politely suggesting a lesser price, particularly if a seller hasn’t had any offers on an item they’ve posted for a long time. All you have to do on Facebook Marketplace is select ‘ask for details and enter a price.
- Check as frequently as you can. Facebook, unlike eBay, does not allow you to set up email notifications for particular items. If you’re looking for something specific, keep checking each day because products are available and taken at incredible speeds.
- By sending a private message, you can seal the transaction. After your offer is accepted, send a direct message to the seller to set up delivery info.
- A Facebook deal isn’t necessarily a good deal. Just because something is on Facebook doesn’t imply it’s a good deal. Always shop around for the best deal.
- It’s also a good idea to go on eBay for similar items to see what they’re selling for. Fill in the search box on eBay and select the ‘sold items’ option. It will generate a list of the prices at which things have been sold.
- Always make your payment in cash. Please pay cash rather than through direct deposit, check, or PayPal to avoid losing money. Run screaming if someone asks you to transmit money using Western Union or a similar type of fast payment system.
- When exploring the marketplace, be cautious. Trust your instincts and move away if an advertisement or message appears to be dubious. If you ever do go there to pick up an item, let someone know where you’re going, bring a phone, and remember to remain on the doorstep if at all possible.
- That’s how easy it is to set up your Facebook store to begin selling online. If you have any questions or if you encounter any difficulty following our guide above, kindly leave us a message below. Thanks.
Things You Can Sell on Facebook Marketplace
- Home goods.
- Pet supplies.
- Baby items.
- Yards and specialty tools.
- Outdoor recreation items.
- Video games.
Feel free to share this article with your loved ones. Thanks for doing that.